1. User Interviews: Learning About Target Users
Because understanding user needs plays a critical role in thinking about what will increase engagement, I conducted 3 user interviews with people who fit the following target user characteristics:
- 18-34 years old
- Very tech-savvy--on their phones for several hours a day
- Very budget-conscious
- Messaging and communicating with friends and family is a very important part of their daily lives
They also have used or are currently using fitness apps. These interviews helped me understand why people use fitness apps, why they might stop using them, and how they would benefit from group interaction on the app.
2. Competitive Analysis: How do other fitness apps incorporate messaging?
The three most popular fitness apps that people talked about during user interviews were MapMyRun, MyFitnessPal, and FitBit. I did some research on these well-established apps in order to understand how they incorporate messaging features.
Competitive Analysis of Industry Leaders' Messaging Features
2. User Persona: Who would benefit from a team-focused app?
The key findings helped me to develop a persona, which served as inspiration for designing FitEarner’s messaging features.